Pink Icing

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

1st life

All i seem to do these days is play catch up.....and never quite do!

Anyway, here I am. In 'my' land. My space, my whatever.

I say that as I was flicking through an article about a couple who met on 'Second Life'....think they should just get a life......

ooops silly me they did....just not a real one

Actually I have been resisting the urge to check it out, mainly because I suspect I might enjoy it! All those computer game things I find extremely addictive. Many years ago I got into Playstation stuff. It all started so innocently..... Hey addictions always do right??? My ex, Richard The Bastard, had been playing quietly on his Playstation in the lounge after work for sometime then, one rainy winter Sunday afternoon I got to the end of a book and, bored out of my skull and fed up of being relegated to the bedroom to avoid the sound of screaming and gunshots, came into the lounge to nidge Richard The Bastard (RTB).

I sat on the sofa next to him.

I sighed.

He didn't respond

I sighed a really big sigh

RTB didn't speak, mutter or turn his head

RTB kept twiddling his thumbs.....

I lurched at him and threw my arms around him and planted a big smacker on his cheek

RTB dropped the machine his thumbs twiddled over.....

I waited for my passionate boyfriend to passionately embrace me.....

'Shit, damn, now I've stepped in the acid....'

RTB was playing Alien

And that was there it all began. That very moment.

It started out, as I said, innocently enough. I would sit next to my now passionateless boyfriend as he searched the entire ship for creatures that spat acid, popped out of pods and men cocooned in webby stuff.

My heart pounded. It raced. I felt tense with the excitement.

I navigated for my boyfriend. Together we roamed the ship, the planet, the universe.

We were as one!

They say you don't always remember the time you took your next step down your addiction spiral. Me neither. One day I was surrounded by fluffy pillows and luxurious throws reading books, the next I was fully armed and dangerous. I now commanded my own weapons and I would never be caught. I'd die first.......

And indeed I did. Many times

So then, on my birthday, RTB came home with a card, a book, flowers and ............

Lara Croft, Tomb Raider.....!

My life was spectacular. I climbed, I swam, I ran, I undertook daring feats and puzzles. I tried very hard to fit in work around my challenges. RTB sat alongside me and we sometimes played together.

This wasn't however always successful as he insisted on being Lara and by this point I was on 3 fixes a day and could no longer share them.

RTB decided that we needed a break. We should go for a long drive and stay somewhere overnight and get out and hike in the hills.

Mmmm, good idea, I've got perfect agility now......

He would drive and we could maybe go out that night and explore the town

yeeees, I wonder if I have a belt I could attach 2 knives on....

Packing was minimal. No need for anything other than shorts and boots. That way I would be ready for anything.

We arrived late in the afternoon, went to our room and after a bath and cup of tea, rediscovered ourselves so to speak. (I'm British, tea will do it for me every time...!!) ((nah only joshing)). The next morning, resplendant in my sense of woman, RTB and I got on our hiking boots and hit the town.

Matlock in Derbyshire is very craggy and sheer hillsides. EXACTLY LIKE IN LARA CROFT LAND.... I wandered around in a trance as I felt overcome with the parallels.

'It does look like the rocks in level 6 doesn't it?'

RTB's face said it all. I was out of control. My life HAD become unmanageable.......


So no, I shall not be checking out Second Life........

8 Comments:

  • At 8:21 am, Blogger Dave Hill said…

    You have to move on with your life.
    Time change.......


    Get a Xbox 360 lol

     
  • At 10:29 am, Blogger captain corky said…

    LOL at RTB!

    Watch out for webcams too. I may never leave my house again. Not that I really want to anyway. ;)

     
  • At 3:13 pm, Blogger DNR said…

    heh - My addiction was Doom... good gawd that game made my adrenalin pump so hard sometimes... Because of the hours (and we’re talking like 20 at a time) I do NOT get near my kids PS2, X-Box or even look at a computer game.

    Oh yeah I had issues with SimCity too.

    I'm such a nerd!

     
  • At 7:39 pm, Blogger Pink Icing said…

    DH - yeah I think I should....X Box yippee.... No can't go there, Darling Daughter did that for ages a few years back and got into her own mess.. Have decided that real adventures are best!
    CC - Webcams eeek. Your video made me smile looks like fun. Nah, don't leave the house, well not unless The Crew come calling
    DNR - Mmm i know whatcha mean about the adrenalin, when I first tried Alien I thought I might actually have a heart attack. Does that make me a nerd as well???

     
  • At 9:18 pm, Blogger EL PADRONE said…

    Greetings Tanie,

    I disagree : I think Wales finally found a gear they didn't know they had.

    Either way you should have been in Cardiff on Saturday night : I think the whole city was partying until 4 in the morning.

    If we beat Scotland ... if.....if...this place is going to go f*cking balistic for the first time in years.

    Bring it on !

    Hugs,

    M.

     
  • At 1:18 am, Blogger A said…

    Yeah- I get that way with the internet in general(although not exactly to that extent!). Just checking people's blogs can take up hours of my life . . . and don't even get me started on Craigslist! (Like an online garage sale- just what I would need, more crap! actually I only look, I haven't bought anything . . . yet!)

    A

     
  • At 12:07 pm, Blogger Muhd Imran said…

    Very interesting post. RTB.

    I was hooked on Halo and Star Wars too until Wifey reminded me that the XBox was bought for our Son... return it to him or else!

    SimCity and Zoo Tycoon were great too. I had to return it to our Son too, when I bought an iMac for myself that made the games incompatible. Sigh.

    PC Games, it started so innocently... like you said.

     
  • At 11:06 pm, Blogger Crashdummie said…

    psst, whats "Second life" anyway? *totally confused*

    The only thing i used my newly purchased ps2 is for SingStar :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home