Pink Icing

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Ground control to Major Tom

Dear UK

Picture the scene; the breeze gently blowing, the sky dark and full of twinkling stars, the ocean laping the darkened sand. Add to the oicture a raised decking with white ballustrades. Then add 2 chairs a table and wine. Then add 5 glamorous people.

Now deduct the wine and replce with mugs of coffee. Deduct the glamorous people and add 2 people in pj's and bathrobes (sorry CJ, yep me) ((in my defence so was Beth the Owner)), one female person droning on and on on a mobile/cell phone, and a couple from Philly.

Oh my God, what sort of an accent did he have?! I couldn't understand a word, it was like babbling baby talk. Remember the Western with John Wayne and Dean Martin? Rio Bravo or something like that. Well, the daft old sidekick that did the muttering? Mr Philly sounded a worse version of that, bizarre.......

Get back to the scene, the view, the setting, the people. Okay then picture a huge light in the sky, the light burning and going up and up, lighting up the ocean. It was so amazing I didn't realise it could be quite as beautiful. Then my mind went all wobbly. I'd never really paid much attention to space stuff before but I thought that rockets were supposed to go straight up. They are aren't they??! Anyway as I watch the burning rocket travel up and up, dropping 2 lots of booster stuff that twinkled like fireworks as they hit the ocean, it travels like an arch til it disappears. How weird is that my mind says. My head knows it should go straight up but my eyes see it go in a perfect arch. This has to be the most amazing way to experience just how fast the earth is spinning, it really does. Cos of the wind the sound wasn't as loud as I thought it would be, but it was still loud, speed of light and sound thing, and the earth definitely moved for me...........

Not beach weather yesterday either. Am I ever going to get a tan?! Maybe by December eh......
Lots of New Yorker's have migrated to this area, not far to travel I guess. It's quite funny to hear the accents, I love 'em actually. Spent some time at a beach cafe and chatted to the locals. Actually they chatted to me, these New Yorkers sure know how to talk, even I could hardly get a word in.....

Got chatting to Debi at the Inn yesterday, another New Yorker. Was originally from Miami, moved to New York, now here. Her house got totalled in the last hurricane and she's still overseeing work. Remember it's not just the devastion, it's getting all the materials and labour to do it. There's only so many roofers, electricians, plumbers etc. Oh and boy are the insurance companies making them pay now......

Anyway back to Debi, in 15 mins I knew all about her, her family, her life and all she wanted to know about me was that I was British, loved the British (don't we all), had been to Ireland and London, London was wonderful and she loved cities not rural. Gave me her cell phone number, I just had to call her when I was back in Miami, always best to know someone wherever you go. She gobbled 2 pieces of lemon curd cheesecake, a wonder bar and her skinny little ass whooshed off to a gym class, all the time having her cell phone plugged into an ear with an iPod hanging on the other. 'Bye' I managed as I heard the front door slam. 'What a lovely lady' Beth said as she breezed in with more tea. 'Mmm' I managed as I started on my first piece of cheesecake.......

Beth is a supreme hostess, she really is. She notices all the little details that make you feel welcome and special without being in your face. She worked in Hong Kong for a number of years and then gave it all up to be back here and seems to have found the perfect place. Her Mom, Celestine, told me as we walked to the pizza place together.

My benchmark for feeling special is Amberley Castle in Sussex. I can honestly say that the Winderemere Inn is not to be missed if you are in Florida. Seek it out and you will not be disappointed. Amberely gets an 8.5 and the Winderemere gets an 8.5.

Oh and at breakfast Debi entertained a friend, can't at her house as no kitchen. Mr & Mrs Philly were just leaving as I sat down, phew. Then Mr Philly came over and started talking, yee gads, it's scary not understanding when you know that he's talking English. I muttered a couple of 'uh hu's' then shoved my head in the Daily Florida News in a very British kind of way........

The only other time I can remember being really scared cos I couldn't understand was in Liberia, Africa. The common language spoken is English but I did have to concentrate. I sadly contracted Malaria there in 1979 and was really ill. Thought I was going to die actually. Anyway, I clearly did recover but it took longer than it should according to the houseboys. Whilst not medically trained naturally, I respected their knowledge of the disease, after all what did we lilly white Brits know about it in the UK and they saw it day in day out??? Well finally I was well enough to be checked out at a clinic so I was driven to a clinic and instructed to climb the stairs to the 2nd floor of a very rough dirty building. As I stood in front of a glass shielded receptionist I asked if I was in the right place. I could not understand what she was saying, and as she repeated it my fear rose. Around me was a room full of very ill looking Africans who were by now almost laughing. In what seemed like a horror movie scene I felt my knees buckle and tears spring to my eyes. At this point the woman behind the glass scribbled something on a piece of paper and shoved it on the glass, it read, 'what is your name and who do you want to see'.........................

In my defence I was just recovering from Malaria......


love to all xxx

ps: in the Library and all the children have just come out of the kiddies section in Halloween costumes, they look soooo cute. Blimey they're excited....!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home