Pink Icing

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

arrested development

We had earthquakes in the UK last night. Biggest in 25 years. Not in a San Francisco sort of way but still a force.

London and Northern parts of England felt tremors

No tremors were felt here in Surrey

Not in any way.........




I have a message on my phone from a policeman asking me to call him back.
I trust there's an apology of some description to follow.

Let me explain.....

A couple of weeks ago a Russian billionaire living in the town near me was found dead, murdered. National news teams were swarming the area. It was gloriously sunny and locals were happy and wandering around in tee shirts. All except the man who decided to walk into a local bank wearing a beanie hat, glasses, a big jacket and holding a plastic bag demand the cashier put all the money at her station in the bag as he had a gun and would use it if she didn't

Generally guns aren't used in the UK. I say generally as I am discounting the gangs of 'youffs' that try to emulate the American rap stars

The cashier put all the money in the bag and handed it back. The Bank Robber, brashly confident in his success, demanded the same of the 2nd cashier. The 2nd cashier handed over his money as well.

The Bank Robber then calmly walked out of the bank, never having exposed his gun

Most of the time Leatherhead is a nothing sort of town, only made 'famous' as being Michael Caine's primary residence. Suddenly we were all catapaulted into a media frenzy.

This all happened on the Wednesday. On the Thursday 3 local papers, Surrey Police Online, bbc online and a few National papers had sensational storied about both events. Strangely enough the bank robbery being the leading story. They had 3 people they wanted to arrest and displayed bank cctv pictures of all 3.

The police were urging people to come forward to identify the men so they could arrest them.

Darling Daughter phoned me hysterical. I couldn't understand a word she was saying. I realised she was actually hysterically laughing. It turned out that one of the 'robbers' pictured was her Father!!

No I know that I divorced her Father in 1983 and hardly ever had contact with him but I was pretty sure he wouldn't commit that sort of crime. Yes I know everyone says that!

My ex husband is guilty of many things but no, not bank robbery.

I'll tell you why

He's an agrophobic and social misfit. To get him to go out is a major event and if he does go out he is very fixed on the end position and keeps his head down, not making eye contact. He wears black. All the time. We went to Africa when Darling Daughter was 6 months old and he wore heavy black trousers and long sleeved black jumpers...... His hairline is receeding considerably so shaves his head and now resembles Uncle Fester

I can see why he might look shifty!!!

After much laughter on both sides I said to DD I was actually concerned about how this would impact on her and The Boy. I could just see those snobby young Mums at playgroup excluding my darling grandson. DD told me not to be so ridiculous. DD hadn't experienced the rumourmongering and gossiping I had over the years, I had clearly protected her in some way

DD urged her Father to 'give himself up' to avoid the police breaking into his house. Actually it's his Mother's house, he lives far away but is staying with her, well nursing her as she is seriously ill and hooked up to a morphine drip. A shock like that could kill her, well and him as he's also epileptic. (gets better eh??)

Ex Husband went round to DD house on Thursday night and took a bottle of wine to get drunk as he was far too distraught and couldn't deal with it. Great. An epileptic drunk.......

Finally on Friday Ex Husband calls the police to 'give himself up'. DD calls the police to let them know who one of the bank robbers is.

So do many upstanding citizens

So do I

Except I do not leave it at that. I confirm who he is. He's my very ex husband. When they eliminate him from their enquiries I expect a full apology. Do they have any idea of the impact the iresponsible statement from the 'temporary' detective could have upon my family?

I want to ask why the detective is temporary but decide now is not the time

On Saturday afternoon Surrey Police had taken down the 'offending' page from their web site and put up a page stating they have eliminated one man from their enquiries

That's it

Nothing else

Except a phone message yesterday from some detective asking if I would call him back.

I might......

Karen H said my family really is disfunctional. I have to agree

One day I would like to have a 'normal' life....................

15 Comments:

  • At 12:49 am, Blogger One in Ten said…

    he sounds like my ex-hubby
    just plain crazy
    I loved your blog

     
  • At 5:29 am, Blogger Muhd Imran said…

    This is one big newspaper-worthy story... "(gets better eh???)" very interesting to read.

    Hope you will have a good and restful week ahead.

     
  • At 1:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is the craziest story I have read on a blog in a long time.
    It's funny how you defended him as the type who wouldn't rob a bank, and then proceed to describe just the sort of character I would imagine robbing a bank!!! Was this on purpose? (I can only imagine it was).
    PS- I love Michael Caine. You're lucky. :)
    2PS- I have been away for awhile- sorry; just been busy!

     
  • At 9:38 pm, Blogger Pink Icing said…

    one in ten - what IS it about family.... Do drop by again

    Imran - I shall try to rest this weekend!

    LP - Glad you're back. I was getting worried! Thing is real life IS crazy.....

     
  • At 4:23 pm, Blogger Muhd Imran said…

    Strangely enough, talking about wanted man on the loose.

    We have here the most wanted man on the loose after he escaped from a tight security detention centre... not to tight, eh?

    Again, have a good weekend.

     
  • At 8:03 pm, Blogger Preity Angel... said…

    Very interesting story..

    I love your blog

    Angel

     
  • At 1:48 am, Blogger A said…

    Funny! How odd, though, too!

     
  • At 3:00 pm, Blogger Mima said…

    Thanks for your visit to my blog, and sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you, I am having internet problems at the moment.

    Love the story about your ex, it is something that happens in movies and not in real life. I hope that his Mum was ok with it all, as it sounds as if she is quite frail and in need of help at the moment.

     
  • At 5:27 am, Blogger the rotten correspondent said…

    Oh, my. You couldn't make that story up if you tried. And then the earthquake on top of it...

    Yikes!

     
  • At 2:59 pm, Blogger Wendy said…

    An epilectic drunk! I'm still laughing over that part. It's definitely crazy but hilarious. :)

     
  • At 10:47 pm, Blogger Maxine Weiss said…

    Wow, bank robbery is so different in the U.K.

    Here in the United States, robbers gently place a neatly handwritten note in front of the Teller explaining what is requested.

    There's been some extradordinarily polite robberies, here.

     
  • At 8:50 pm, Blogger Pink Icing said…

    Imran - I haven't heard the news on that one yet. Scarey eh?!

    Angel - thanks, good to see you here again

    W - But dull IS sometimes good.....

    a - still all seems very bizarre!

     
  • At 9:07 pm, Blogger Pink Icing said…

    Mima - Hope all gets sorted with your Internet real soon. Good to see you here, come back again sometime

    the RC - no, quite! Life is definitely stranger than fiction

    Wendy - Glad I made you laugh! It is sort of funny and definitely weird....

    MW - Polite?? AMerican bank robbers??! Well that's not what I would have thought....is that sarcasm??? Good to see you here, drop by again sometime

     
  • At 10:57 am, Blogger captain corky said…

    "His hairline is receeding considerably so shaves his head and now resembles Uncle Fester"

    LOL!!! Thanks, I needed that. ;)

     
  • At 9:49 pm, Blogger Pink Icing said…

    Captain C - I'm still smiling as well.....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home