Pink Icing

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Soon to be forgotton

Well time flies when you're not connected to the Internet.........

Last Friday I DID call into the WI country craft market. Waited patiently and silent in the lobby. Noticed that Youngish Large Lady with Long Lank Greasy Grey Hair has cut her Long Lank Greasy Hair.

Short.

She is now Youngish Large Lady with Short Greasy Grey Hair. I don't think she went to a hairdresser. I think a friend cut it. Straight round, deep pudding bowl style. YLLSGGH makes conversation with the stalwart eldery ladies, and they respond!

Well I washed my hair this morning (Tuesday) and will see if I avoid washing or brushing it whethere that'll be enough to illicit a 'hello'........

Once inside I sped on my trusty Merrells and acquirred the last chicken, half a dozen free range eggs. Oh and a packet of 4 little butterfly cakes for coffee with Karen H, who was at home suffering with a frightful cold.

Didn't have time for tea and custard creams, maybe this week....

For those of you who have been subjected, nay apologies, reading this Blog for some time will know that I gave up many things to travel over to the US last year. Including my home. I took up residence in shared accommodation to save money. Well time has come for me to say farewell to what has been an interesting year of shared bathrooms, fridges and car park spaces. I like my flatmates. A lot.
I don't however like my Landlady and Lady in Downstairs Flat.

Landlady may wear lipstick, earrings and speak with a forced Surrey accent but she is a slum Landlord in reality. The accommodation is truly atrocious and houses transient peoples for a period of time. No one else would take up residence! It has been an extremely interesting experience, a source of great tales for the future.

Having dispatched the Not So Dear Old Lady from the corner shop with an official police caution I felt ready to tackle the Lady Slum Landlord. I sent her a letter listing a number of issues that required addressing and we were all summoned to a meeting. Having previous commitments we were unable to jump at her request to meet that afternoon and settled on a meeting in her house last night, some 2 days later. Lady Slum Landlord opened the door without a smile and ushered us into her 'study'. What she studied in there I couldn't fathom. It was baron of books. Just pictures on the wall of older children, a desk with piles of paper, a glass topped rattan coffee table with the glass set aside against the wall and no chairs for us to sit on. The study, or perhaps it should be the 'office', led onto a conservatory and from there Lady Slum Landlord (LSL) began to fetch in chairs.

An offer of help was refused.

We sat on the chairs arranged in front of her desk. LSL sat imperiously on her chair behind the desk, patially blocked from my view by the piles of papers and reading light.

I remained resolute.

I looked at Sarah and Geetha and suppressed a giggle, the fact that we looked like we had been summoned in front of the Headmistress was not lost upon me, and clearly Sarah and Geetha.

We sat in the study for over an hour referring to the points in my letter and her responses. Not a cup of tea in sight. LSL's husband appeared and waffled on about locks, immersion heater costs, insurance and probably other things but I had switched off.

The man is a buffoon.

He is vastly irritating and I was no longer enjoying myself. Time to go.

Sarah and I clambered our moss and algae ridden metal staircase to fall into our 70's original kitchen for a well earned cuppa. Particularly me as I had spend nearly all the time talking......

Darling Daughter confided that she has been flabbergasted that I have lasted so long there!

On the 19th Feb I shall take up residence in my new abode. I will be reunited with my fine bone china, silver cutlery, Cuisinox and le Crueset saucepans. But most importantly I will be sleeping on my own bed again. The one that cost £3500.00 and I only slept on it for 6 weeks before it went into storage.

And my books! I'll have my books again...... I'll have all my shoes, boots, handbags, suits, jewellery, dresses, underwear.... oh God I think I have overdone it, I'm coming out in a huge hot flush.

Seriously!

Right off to climb into the 70's pink bath to catch a dribble of cold water from the hand held shower spray....................

7 Comments:

  • At 2:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ooooh- I had a "slum landlady" like that one time...(keep in mind this happened when I was young and inconsiderate):
    The place should have been legally condemned- there was no insulation in some of the walls, mice were overtaking the kitchen, and there were visible cracks in the molding around the windows- that I could see light through! So, me and mt housemates at the time only paid one or two months rent, and decided we couldn't legally get in trouble for not paying any more rent because the place was such a dive. Pretty mean of us, I know, but we were young.
    Where in Wisconsin is the craft market? I live in Wisconsin.
    PS- I love your descriptions of people!

     
  • At 7:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In this instance, WI = Womens' Institute, and the craft market referred to is in England.

     
  • At 9:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh- whoops. In my little world the ONLY thing WI could possibly stand for is Wisconsin-
    I stand corrected and hang my head in shame- lol!

     
  • At 1:27 pm, Blogger Pink Icing said…

    LP - ah someone has let you know! I'm actually back in the UK, desperate to get out again, and having to fill the gaps in with various bits and pieces to retain a modicom of sanity.
    I should love to see if Wisconsin, or indeed any US State, has a craft market run by little old ladies. How cool would that be?!

     
  • At 1:40 pm, Blogger Pink Icing said…

    LP - No it wasn't mean of you, it's business after all. If you were offered that level of service when buying a house, iron, groceries would you accept it? No I would imagine not. So down with slum Landlords and a big fat raspberry in their face...>!!
    Thank you for your kind comments.

     
  • At 11:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh man, you know this is going to be good when I am laughing out loud at work and I just read the first paragraph… snort!!!

    YLLSGGH – ROTFLMAO!!!

    Is the page from your magazine still under the damned wobbly table you were stuck at last time?

    Tanie – I love reading your posts. What a great way to end my day. Thanks so much!!

     
  • At 11:05 am, Blogger Pink Icing said…

    dnr - thank you so much. Such lovely positive comments, particularly from people I don't 'know', really keep me going.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home