Pink Icing

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanks for giving me this holiday

Dear UK

A very Happy Thanksgiving and all that!

Shall be eating turkey shortly. Have been invited to Marah's for the day but have decided to stay at the hotel and meet up later. I met Marah on my first vist to Tucson a few years back. (Can't say when cos i can't remember!) We actually met on Thanksgiving then and she's been Thankful ever since....ba boom! It was Thanksgiving and I was in a hotel lobby and she was trying to 'rescue' a bird that kept flying at the window. I actually thought she was a mad woman but I'm learning fast that Americans have quite a few quirks.........

Anyway that's what I'm doing today.

Forgot to say, yesterday when I was coming down the mountain I managed to get a big cactus thing stuck in my ankle. I looked down and instantly pulled it out. Should have taken a picture. Took a picture of the after effect. It didn't hurt that much. I remember thinking as I was pulling the thing out, 'I think this should hurt........'
What with the mozzie and no-see-um bites, and the cactus attack my legs are beginning to resemble a poster for an Essex Girl's Night Out. Oh God so sorry all of you in Essex, you know i love you, just stereotyping cos i'm turning into a political nightmare.........

Last night I didn't go to bed. I went to my room, drank water then went out to a show. The Gaslight Theatre on Broadway. Great little place. Seats are booked 6 weeks in advance but the very nice lady in the booking office sold me an aisle seat. i had absolutely no idea what to expect.

Inside it's set up like an old western vaudville saloon. The tables are crammed tight and decked in red check 'easy wipe' tablecloths. I was seated in a chair hugging the aisle. Waitresses come round and take your food and drink order and about 15 mins into the show, pass around baskets of popcorn. I had a Pepsi. Mainly cos I didn't fancy my chances of balancing a plate of food on my lap in the dark whilst wearing my only halfway decent skirt and top........

The show was brilliant, local people doing a family spoof musical called Christmas in the Big Apple. I managed to get a lots of the jokes and at one point seeing all the male leads as Elvis Santas had me doubled over laughing and wiping tears from my eyes.

At the end of the show they did 'Happy Birthday' to a few people who stood up and whooped as the crowd cheered and the waitresses ran over with ice cream cones, the same 'welcome' to a few out of towners from Ohio and Idaho. No they wouldn't. They couldn't...... could they? Nah.
And now can we have a hearty welcome.....
Oh God please no......
'to a visitor...'
my heart starts to pound
surely they can't mean.....
'Tanie Thorne....'
Oh Hells Bells
'from England in the UK'

The crowd doesn't cheer.

What does that mean, panic panic Mr Mannering....

A loud low 'ooooo' resonates through the place.

'And where is she?'

Oh what do I do now?

My hand goes up as others did

The place erupts into applause and 3 waitresses rush over with ice cream cones. The lights are bright and my face is bright red. I'm ushered by 2 of the waitresses to stand up and take a bow. Oh Lordy, somehow I am not ready for this.

I click into work mode and smile confidently (no teeth mind you!) and project a clear 'thank you'.

The place erupts again.

I sit down, the lights dim and I shake as I pretend to try and eat my ice cream with confidence. Mmm, cookies and cream...

It was a fabulous night, definitely a place to visit if you're in Tucson.

7 Comments:

  • At 7:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog :). Sounds like you had a great birthday. I am envious of the warm weather you have.

     
  • At 9:07 pm, Blogger Debbs said…

    Hi thanks for the comment on mine to!

     
  • At 9:26 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, I cheered!

    Glad to have you with us.

     
  • At 11:52 pm, Blogger won tong said…

    HAPPY THANKSGIVING GLAD YOU CAME TO MY BLOG HOPE TO VISIT AND READ YOURS WHEN I CAN...

     
  • At 8:08 am, Blogger C-dell said…

    Happy turkey day. I hope you really enjoy yourself. comment on my blog about how a British Thanksgiving is.

     
  • At 11:30 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tanie...
    Seems as though you have met some wierd, wild, wonderful creatures/characters!!

    Dirk the Star and Stripes looks a tad like Frank Zappa?
    Where did you find him?
    Why isn't HE president of the USA?
    Can he do anything to end this pointless war in Iraq? Tis another Vietnam I fear.

    I digress..
    Keep living it large Tanie!
    Love from Margoxxxx

     
  • At 4:03 pm, Blogger Pink Icing said…

    Margo, this place IS full of the weird and wonderful

    I just love it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home