Pink Icing

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Poor Me's....

Last weekend was going to be such fun. I'd popped into Martin & CJ's for a 'quick' cuppa on the way home Friday, reminding me that Idon't meet up with them nearly as much as I should.

Saturday morning i was going to pick up my new car from the garage. As it was promising to be a fabulously warm and sunny day i planned my day with great spirit. I would walk to the garage - no need to get a cab - a 30min walk would be healthy. So at 9.15am I popped on my new skirt and tee shirt and slipped into my trusted Merrills. I'd bought this particular pair of Merrills on my Big Vacation in the States and I still wear them whenever i can.

Off i walked on the paths of the main road feeling good about the day and myself. I came to the end of the path and the next stage was a section of grass that was a little overgrown. Only another 5 mins walk now and i would get my new shiny silver car.

Suddenly i was tumbling over on the grass. I jumped up, pride makes you do that i think. Looked deeper into the grass and found a circular thin metal wire thing. i had clearly stepped on it and it popped up and I caught my other foot in it making me tumble to the ground. i checked my skirt and knees, no damage so I carried on. By the ti me I got to the garage I was in shock or running on adrenalin I think. My thumb hurt and I struggled to sign my name. I had to start the car with my left hand as my right hand hurt too much!

The day progressed and the pain got worse. I dithered and debated as to what I should do. Eventually after tapping my finger on my French doors around 4pm and recoiling in excruciating painI decided this was more than a bruised thumb.

So after a lot of tooing and froing I sat in A&E (ER) saying I thought I'd broken my thumb. I felt a fraud. There were people there with cuts to the head, limping legs, children crying. I was about to leave when the nurse came out and called my name. What should I do? They would undoubtably be cross for wasting their ti me. It's just that I am a wuss with pain

It turnned out I had broken my thumb. I burst into tears. The nurse was lovely.

I said that whilst i didn't want this it was a reaction to the validation of the pain

She smiled and gave me pills for the pain. i dithered over swallowing them. i'm one of these people that doesn't take tablets at all. Not cos I don't believe inthem or have a religious reAson, i just know that any headaches i get are usually stres or dehydration. (Boy does that frustrate Darling Daughter!) Anyway i took them as i figured this was a valid reason....

So tonight finds me struggling to write on my lap top but having survived a near overdose on prescribed painkillers, a race from DD's house in an ambulance strapped with wires and dipping in and out of consciousness, a visit to the fracture clinic today for them to tell me that it was more than a broken bone and that I'd need an urgent (but exciting, doctors eh!) restructuring op on alignment, broken bone and broken ligaments.

I felt tears sting my eyes

I was a grown up, I should be able to deal with news like this.

So i am sorry if this post sounds somewhat self pitying. But you k now what I do feel sorry for myself.

I'm frightened

There I've said it.

Me

I'm scared

I'm on my own and have no one to share these fears. I don't feel a vibrant independent woman right now. I've laughed at those documentaries that remind us that we are the sophisticated beings cos we ha ve opposable thumbs. Good grief do i REALLY understand that now.......

I am trying to come to terms with this and the realisation that it will take a while to mend.

What will I do???

Perhaps it'll be better after the op and when the hand is in a proper cast.

Now I k now so very many people experience far far worse medical traumas than this (read Whims horrifying experience) and I feel a fraud and guilty for feeling bad but I AM struggling.

The most I can hope for is 85% mobilty in my right thumb afterwards.

You know what? Stuff being healthy if this is what happens......................

9 Comments:

  • At 11:46 pm, Blogger Pink said…

    Oh dear! Honey, I'm sorry that you've had such a shitty time.

    I'm glad you didn't overdose, though it sucks that you ended up going to the hospital.

    I understand your fear and how you feel alone.

    You don't have to compare yourself to anyone else. You are scared and feel unhappy and that is enough. I hear you.

    Wish I could give you a hug and help you feel better.

    Hang in there, lovely girl.
    xx
    pinks

     
  • At 7:49 pm, Blogger Pink Icing said…

    Pink - Thank you very much.

     
  • At 8:57 pm, Blogger Crashdummie said…

    U broke ur thumb? omg u poor thing?
    awwwwww, but your not alone hun, you dont have to be afraid of admitting your own vulnerability...

    Hope you get better.

     
  • At 12:09 am, Blogger Pink said…

    I'd come to your tea shop and eat your cakes :)

    I hope you write and write and write till there is nothing left to write...as soon as your thumb heals, that is :)

    hang in there, girl
    xx
    pinks

     
  • At 1:04 am, Blogger Kelly Guyer said…

    Aw bless you! You have nothing to fear with the operation my dear. I had 3 operations on my leg over the past 10 months and am waiting for a 4th and hopefully final one.
    I was terrified when I was having the frame removed from my leg, however the anaesthetist soon calmed my nerves (mind you, it did help that he was gorgeous!).
    You will be fine honey. We are all here for you. Big hugs! (x)
    Kel
    xxxx

     
  • At 1:24 am, Blogger Indigo said…

    am willow. hi. how are you? saying hi. sleepy now. talk later. bye bye

     
  • At 1:34 pm, Blogger Muhd Imran said…

    I am sorry that your happy day turned somewhat terrifying.

    It's your prerogative to feel whatever you want to feel and express however you want to.

    People will judge regardless. No one can stop that... being human is normal. They are not the ones suffering the pain, the inconvenience.

    Hope you have a speedy recovery. Have fun with your new car... and be healthy, regardless. You'll feel good.

     
  • At 9:18 pm, Blogger whimsical brainpan said…

    Big (((((HUGS)))))

    I am so sorry that this happened to you. The fact that it's your dominant hand just makes it that much worse.

    Don't listen to what they tell you you will regain mobility wise! It is just a guess and if you work at it I'd bet you'll do much better. Even though they act like they do, doctors do not know everything.

    The main thing (and it will be hard) is to try not to get too frustrated. Things will be tough for a while but you will adapt. You can relearn to do almost anything one handed (except maybe write as clearly). It just takes some patience and creative thinking.

    Keep us posted.

     
  • At 2:49 pm, Blogger DNR said…

    (((hugs))) to you my frined. Sorry I missed this when it happened. Glad you're feeling better now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home